This is a 9-day trek starting from (Shana) Paro and end at Dodena near Thimphu. The route passes through two high passes from Jangothang. The Trek is strenuous and yet it is very popular. The highest point is 4115m.
Facts about the Tour / Trek:
Duration: 13 nights / 14 days.
Trek Duration: 8 days
Accommodation: Hotels, Resorts and Tents.
Activity Type: Walking, Trekking & Tour.
Difficulty Level: Strenuous.
Group size: Minimum 2 pax.
Best Months to do this Trek: March – June, September – 2nd Week of December
Upon arrival at Paro airport, you will be received by the Representative from Bhutan Corinthian and transfer to the hotel.. Dinner and overnight in Hotel.
After breakfast, acclimatize by hiking to Taktsang Monastery (The Tiger’s Nest).
After lunch, visit
• Kyichu Lhakhang, one of Bhutan’s oldest and most sacred monasteries dating from the introduction of Buddhism in the 8th century.
Dinner and overnight in Hotel.
After breakfast, visit
• Ta Dzong, an ancient watchtower, which has been since 1967, the National Museum of Bhutan
• Rimpung Dzong (Paro Dzong) built in 1646 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal. The Dzong presently houses administrative offices.
After lunch, drive to Shana. Overnight at camp Shana.
Altitude: 3610 m; Distance 22 Km; Time 7 - 8 hours. (Ascent 770 meters, Descent 10 meters)
Altitude: 4080 m; Distance 19 Kms; Time 5 - 6 hours. (Ascent 480 meters)
Rest day at Jangothang, enjoy the superb view all around.
For Day hikes, you have 3 options on this day at Jangothang.
1. Hike to Jumolhari Glacier which is around 4 ½ hours (Back and forth)
2. Hike to Jichu Drake Glacier which is around 3 hours (Back and Forth).
3. Walk up the mountain between Jumolhari and Jichu Drake, the summit is at 5200 meters with a great view of both the mountains. This is 8 hours (Back and forth).
Camp altitude is 4010 meters. 18 kms, Walking time: 6-7 hours, Ascent 840 meters, Descent: 870 meters.
Camp at Shodu: 4080 meters. Distance: 22 kms, 8-9 hours walk. (Ascent 940 meters, Descent 920 meters). Dinner and overnight in Camp.
Camp at Altitude: 3710 meters. 16 km. Walking time 5-6 hours, Ascent 250 meters, Descent: 670 meters. Dinner and over night in camp
Camp at the altitude 3320 meters. 15 km. Walking time 4-6 hours, Ascent 290 meters, Descent 640 meters.
Distance 8 km, 4 hours walk. Ascent 500 meters, Descent 930 meters.
• Folk Heritage Museum
• Painting school of 13 Arts and Crafts
• The Royal Textile Museum
• Postal Museum for the personalized stamps
• Bhutanese paper factory
After lunch, visit
• National Memorial Chorten (1974) built in honour of our late King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk
• Dupthop Lhakhang one of the few surviving nunneries in Bhutan.
• The largest and the tallest statue of sitting Buddha in the world.
• Tashichho Dzong, seat of the national government and the Central Monastic Body, including the summer residence of the Je Khenpo (Chief Abbot of Bhutan)
Overnight in Hotel.
Drive to Punakha via Dochula pass. If the weather is clear, we stop for a while at Dochula pass to view Higher Himalayas.
• Punakha Dzong built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and is situated between Pho Chu (Male river) and Mo Chu (Female river). Punakha is still the winter residence of Je-Khenpo and King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk convened the new national Assembly here in 1952.
• Chime Lhakhang, this was built by Lama Drukpa Kuenley. He subdued the demons with his “Magical Thunder bolt”. The Temple is also known as “the Temple of Fertility”.
In the evening, drive back to Thimphu. Overnight in Hotel.
Early morning, drive to the Airport and Farewell.